Is UCL a good place to study LLB in UK for Indian students?
LLB is one of the most popular law courses in the UK and is accredited by the Bar Council of England and Wales and the Law Society of England and Wales.
According to the Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2022, 3 out of the top 10 global universities for Law & Legal Studies are in the UK. The UK universities allow students to combine law with other subjects such as politics, business or journalism.
One of the best universities to study LLB in the UK is the UCL faculty of law. It is the law school of University College London, and a part of the University of London.
Established in 1826, UCL is one of the first universities in UK to offer English law apart from civil law, the first to have a separate faculty of common law, and the first to admit students regardless of gender and religion.
This year, UCL Laws ranking was 15 among the best places to study law courses according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021.UCL faculty of law operates under the University of London Law.
The University of London is a federal public research university and the administrative body for 3 central academic bodies and 17 member institutions.
UCL offers law courses on three levels that are bachelor, masters in law UK, and MPhil/PhD programme.
Courses Offered by UCL Law with Fees for International Students
- LLB Law – £23,300 (2021/22)
- LLB Law with German Law
- LLB Law with French Law
- LLB Law with Hispanic Law
- LLB Bachelor of Laws (UCL) and LLB Bachelor of Laws (HKU)
- Law with Another Legal System (Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong)
- Dual LLB/Juris Doctor (JD) with Columbia University, New York
- LLB Dual Degree English and German Law with Universität zu Köln
- MPhil/PhD in Law
The last updated UCL Law UG fees for international students is £23,300 for the 2021-2022 session.
Undergraduate UCL Law Admissions and Entry Requirements for Indian Students
UCL law entry requirements are different for UG, PG, and MPhil/PhD programmes. To study Law from UCL at UG level, the minimum eligibility criteria for Indian students are:
- Bachelor degree from any Indian university recognised by UCL with an aggregate score that is equivalent to UK Upper Second Class.
- Completed 12 standard/higher secondary from CISCE or CBSE with five subjects and a minimum score of 95 in all of the subjects.
Undergraduate Courses Offered by UCL Law with Fees for International Students
UCL LLM is a 10 months course and is an excellent opportunity for students to advance their career in law. The course provides students with the ability to develop expertise in legal subject areas through research-led teaching guided by world-class faculty.
The fees required to study LLM from UCL for international students is £29,400.
UCL LLM Admissions and Entry Requirements with Fees for Indian Students
To study LLM from UCL, the minimum eligibility criteria set by the university is:
- A good 2.1 with evidence of 1st class ability which is equal to a 65% score across all the years in the bachelor programme.
- Demonstrate their ability in analytical ability, communication skills, and application of motivation.
Applicants from non-law backgrounds are required to have:
- An additional degree in Graduate Diploma in Law recognised by UK professional bodies with a 70% score, or,
- Applicants must successfully complete a 12-months full-time Solicitors Qualifying Examination with an aggregate of 65% and pass SQE on first attempt.
UCL Law MPhil/PhD Admissions and Entry Requirements with Fees for Indian Students
UCL Laws offer the most selective 3-years full-time PhD/MPhil law programmes in the UK. According to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, UCL is the best university in the UK for providing a world-leading research environment. The tuition fees for international students required to pursue MPhil/PhD in law from UCL is £21,330.
The minimum entry requirements for MPhil/PhD programmes in Law as set by the university are:
- An upper second-class bachelor degree from a relevant subject from a UK university or equivalent qualification from an overseas university
- A LLM or Master’s degree in law from a UCL recognised university with first-class ability in extended dissertation/written work.
UCL Law English Language Requirements for Indian Students
An advanced level English language proficiency is required for students to pursue any law courses from University College London.
Applicants need to submit recent evidence to support their application regarding their command over written and spoken English.
Some of the English proficiency tests that University College London accepts for their law courses are:
- TOEFL iBT Advanced Level: An overall score of 92 with 20/30 in speaking and listening and 24/30 in reading and writing.
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE) Advanced Level: Overall score of 191 with 176 in all subtests
- Cambridge English: C1 Advanced (CAE): Overall score of 191 with 176 in all subtests
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) Advanced Level: 75 overall score, with a minimum of 62 in each Communicative Skill
- Trinity College London, Integrated Skills in English Advanced Level: Successful completion of ISE III with ‘distinction’ in all components
- LanguageCert International ESOL Advanced Level: C1 Expert test with High Pass with a minimum score of 33 in listening, reading, writing and 38 in speaking.
Why Study at UCL Faculty of Laws?
UCL laws offer an extraordinary study experience to all its students across all the courses. Not only do they help their students build a solid grasp over the theory of law but also how to practically apply the principles of law in practice.
From scholarships to student visas, University College London offers its students with assistance in every step that will help them to pursue their chosen field of study and make life in the UK easier.
UCL Scholarship and Funding for International Students
University College London offers its students with funding to support their study that includes scholarships, bursaries, and loans for specific subject areas.
For overseas students, UCL offers two funding schemes that are:
Denys Holland Scholarship
- Programmes: All undergraduate courses
- Amount Dispensed: £9,000 per year for three years
- Programmes: Graduate research degrees, Graduate taught
- Amount Dispensed: £10,000
UCL Immigration, Students Visas, and Accommodation
International students planning to study in UCL are eligible to receive complete guidance regarding student visa application, working in the UK, Biometric Residence Permits, and Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), Doctoral Extension Scheme, and medical electives.
Student visa is mandatory for every applicant looking forward to pursuing a full-time course or any course that extends to more than 6-months.Students can visit the Immigration and Visa page on the official website of UCL for more information on UCL immigration and visa requirements and assistance.
All full-time first year international undergraduate and postgraduate students are guaranteed accommodation at UCL’s catered Halls of Residence, catered inter-collegiate halls, self-catered student housing, and privately rented accommodation organised by partner organisations.
Want to study at UCL? Arrange your free consultation at SI-UK India today, the official recruitment agency of UCL for postgraduate programmes and get yourself enrolled for the September 2022 intake.